We have been cooking with tofu a lot these days and Tofu Palak ki Sabzi is another way of preparing tofu. You all can say Indian influence on tofu. Tofu is high in protein and is extracted from soybean milk just like our paneer which is extracted from cow milk. This recipe resembles with our very own Paneer Palak except for paneer we have used tofu. We have used super firm tofu for this preparation which is a denser variety of tofu.
Here to the recipe
Tofu Palak ki sabzi – Tofu with Spinach puree
- 2 whole bunch of spinach leaves approx. 400 Gms
- Tofu approx. 400gm
- 5-6 fat cloves of garlic
- 2 medium size onion
- ½ inch ginger root
- 1 large size tomato
For Tempering and seasoning
- 1 tsp of turmeric powder
- 2 tsp of red pepper powder
- 2 tsp of coriander powder
- ½ tsp of cumin powder
- ½ tsp of cardamom powder
- ½ tsp of cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp of salt or as per taste
- 2 tsp of sugar
- 3-4 dry red chillies
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- 5-6 tbs of mustard oil
- 1 tsp of ghee
- Clean spinach leaves properly in water. Discard the root tip and chop spinach leaves roughly.
- Blanch spinach leaves in little water. Reserve the water that came out after blanching spinach leaves.
- Heat up a fry pan, add 4 tbs of mustard oil, and add in cumin seeds, dry red chillies.
- Now add in finely chopped onion, ginger, tomato and chopped garlic into it.
- Keep on stir/fry for about 8-10 mints at medium high flame.
- Now add in turmeric powder, red pepper powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and salt. Add in cinnamon, cardamom powder and sugar as well. Sprinkle little bit of water and keep on stir/fry.
- Add in blanched spinach leaves as well. Coat well with spices. Let it cook covered for about 8-10 mints.
- Take this fried masala and spinach out and pulse through a grinder to get a smooth ‘spinach masala paste’.
- Add in about 2 tbs of mustard oil in a fry pan.
- Now add in the above prepared ‘spinach masala paste’
- Add in cubed tofu pieces and mix well with spices.
- Add in 1 cup of water and the water that you reserved to use, after spinach blanching.Cover and cook for 10-15 mints at med-low flame.
- Add in ghee or butter at the end.
- Take out and serve. Enjoy with rotis or rice whatever way you prefer eating.
Happy Cooking Friends and have a great week ahead...